It is with great sadness that I am writing to let you know that I plan to leave Nottingham around February 2016. Before the big move I also plan on traveling abroad in December and January.
This means that going forward BiTopia will need someone, or a few people, to keep it going. I’m letting people know early so if anyone wants to volunteer their time we have time to do a handover and work together for a while.
What does running a group involve?
Here is a list of things I do:
- be at the pub once a month to run the pub social
- keep a blog of what we do, and promote events online
- write up events and news for Bi Community News Magazine
- march in the Nottinghamshire Pride Parade
- organise additional socials, eg. after BiCon, at Christmas, plus BiTalkias and workshops
- run something for Bi Visibility Day
- provide emotional support for members on an ad hoc basis, e.g. to help find a therapist, chat with when feeling suicidal, help nervous people feel welcome at the social, listen to people who turn to me for help when struggling with their sexuality
- keep up to date with bi news and issues, to filter information out to group members
- liaise with police, LGBT+ Groups in the area to provide speakers on bi issues when requested, and join in with activism such as IDAHoBiT Day events
- buddy up with/promote other groups in the area, e.g. QT Notts, Notts Trans Hub.
People can of course volunteer to do some of these things, or just what they want/are able to do. E.g. keep some form of regular meet up going, but not worry about the rest.
How much time do I spend running BiTopia?
During a week when nothing is happening, about an hour over the course of the week for things like tweeting, checking social media, and replying to emails.
During the week with an event on, like Bi Visibility Day, about 8-10 hours over the course of the week which includes getting everything sorted and running the event.
If anyone is interested, please let me know! If you want more info before making a decision, just let me know and we’ll have a chat about it.