International Celebrate Bisexuality Day, also known as Bi Visibility Day, is on Saturday 23 September 2017.
We are planning some things for Nottingham!
This post now updated with maps and timings – see below.
3pm-5pm, subject to weather: Mini-festival with info, spoken word and music, at Speakers’ Corner by the Cloughie statue just off the Old Market Square, combined with giving out flyers to inform people about local bi stuff.
6pm-9pm: BiTalkia panel discussion and social, at the Friends’ Meeting House on Clarendon St, NG1 5JD. This is a lovely venue which is fully wheelchair accessible. The panel will take questions either from the audience, or in advance, on anything to do with bisexuality and bi communities. The panel will only be for an hour or so, and there will be time to chat as well. All bi-friendly people are welcome – you don’t have to be bi yourself.
Save the date!
More details to come!
Timings and food plan for the evening event…
All timings are approximate.
5.30/5.40pm: Whoever’s still at Speakers’ Corner will start walking up to the Friends’ Meeting House (FMH). It’s about half a mile. If you haven’t worked out yet where the FMH is, and you’re coming from the middle of town, joining us at Speakers’ Corner for this little walk might be less bother than finding it on the map 🙂
6pm: Arrive at FMH, and put up rainbow and/or bi flags in the front window so people can easily spot the place! Cookery volunteers will start baking the potatoes – see the 6.45pm bit for more on how the food will work.
6.15pm, or soon after, depending on how long it takes us to put chairs & tables out etc: Panel discussion starts.
6.45pm: Pause the panel discussion to sort out food plans. The options are:
- baked potatoes & beans for donations, cooked by us in the oven at the venue.
- takeaway for those who want takeaway – we’ll help you to find a group of people who want to order together & share. Feel free to bring your favourite takeaway menu!
- you’re very welcome to bring snacks of your own.
There may be a bit of faffing at this point: (a) to make sure enough potatoes have been allocated to everyone who wants to eat cheap, and (b) to get people into groups who want the same kind of takeaway food.
7pm, or whenever the food ordering/planning is pretty much complete: Resume panel discussion.
7.30ish: Finish up the discussion. Takeaway should mostly be arriving around now.
7.30-8.30ish: An hour or so to eat and chat!
8.30: Washing up, tidying up, and putting the room back how the venue people want it.
8.55pm: Encouraging people to move outside to finish any chats 🙂
9pm: Room booking ends.
Maps of where we’ll be
We would love to hear from people who’d like to contribute and be part of this, in a little way or a big way, public or behind the scenes.
Here are some possible ways you could take part:
- Help to set up for the mini-fest, or just come and watch and be a supportive presence.
- Bring rainbow, bi or pan flags to decorate Speakers’ Corner or the evening venue.
- At the mini-fest, share some thoughts about bisexuality or related things, or read a poem or sing a song.
- Give out flyers in a friendly way to passers-by.
- Help to set up the room for the evening, e.g. move chairs & tables, hang up flags.
- Make tea or coffee.
- Chip in some money to help pay for the room. We’ll ask everyone to put in something, from say 10p if you’re skint to maybe £10 if you’re well-off and want to support future similar events.
- Offer to shop for tea, coffee, milk etc.
- Bring cake or snacks.
- Help to welcome newcomers / be friendly to everyone.
Offer to be on the panel (though we won’t say yes to everyone for that, e.g. we don’t want it to be 100% white people).Update: panel is booked!
- Ask a question for the panel (on the spot, or in writing).
- Help to clear up at the end, e.g. washing-up or moving chairs and tables.
- Something else!
How to get in touch if you want to contribute, or find out more
If you fancy contributing to the outdoor event or the evening panel, you can email jennifer at uncharted hyphen worlds dot org.
If you fancy contributing in other ways to the evening event, you can email nottinghambitopia at gmail dot com.
Or email both addresses 🙂
Or just turn up on the day and be helpful 🙂
Edited to add: we now have a Facebook Event page for the day.